Texte traduit par Sylvie Durand-Valentin avec l’aimable collaboration de Mme Miriam Bastide.
With the Puits-Vieux (Old Well), the Payet is certainly one of the oldest neighborhoods of Saint Priest. On a map of 1777, this street was called "Payet's Side Road" The name Payet was very common at the time, and it is the neighborhood that took the name of the inhabitants. Note that this surname is still very common in our city, often attached to others ... Payet, followed or not, of: Maugeron, Pigeon, Size, Morice, Burin, etc ... at the beginning of the 18th century, this family name accounted for more than 40% of births in Saint-Priest ! Until 1830, only the top of the street (the Payet) was urbanized and the current Little Street of Payet, (at the time a dead end) The construction of the town hall in 1851 will accelerate its development on the bottom, next to rue Gambetta.
Beautiful houses and the old mill (No. 21), west of the district, date from this time. Very picturesque rural district, one of the rare farms, typically Dauphinoise, still active in Saint-Priest is there (n 11). Between the 9th and 11th of the street, at the end of the impasse, a well sheltered under a rammed earth shelter belonged to another farm adjoining the previous one. Very supportive of the inhabitants of the neighborhood, the farmer put it at the disposal of the neighborhood. On the street, at the end of the impasse, is one of the nine crosses listed and saved from the city. These two witnesses of a recent past are regularly bloomed by the farmers. Note at No. 8 an original house, which denotes in this area, built by an Italian architect mason in his native country. The statue supporting the tower that overlooks it, was at first a support consolidation, which was dressed by the following rapid cement, human form called "Atlantean" architecture The neighborhood housed personalities san-periods including three mayors having, for some, a very local surname, Payet-Maugeron, Payet-Burin and Fougeres.